- Bitcoin gains 4% to trade around the $9,500 mark
- Goldman Sachs lists 5 reasons why you shouldn’t invest in Bitcoin
- Buyers are now looking to build on this week’s gains and push the price above $10,000
Bitcoin closed 4% higher for the second consecutive day as the buyers aim for a trip above $10,000. This is despite Goldman Sachs listing 5 reasons why an investor shouldn’t buy Bitcoin.
Fundamental analysis: Bitcoin is not an asset class, clasim Goldman
Goldman Sachs, the US-based banking giant, slammed Bitcoin in a leaked slideshow on Wednesday, saying the world’s number one cryptocurrency “is not an asset class,” nor “a suitable investment.”
The bank listed 5 reasons why you shouldn’t invest in Bitcoin:
- 1. It doesn’t produce cash flow like bonds.
- 2. It doesn’t generate profit through exposure to global economic development.
- 3. Bitcoin doesn’t deliver consistent diversification gains due to unstable correlations.
- 4. It doesn’t increase volatility given historical volatility of 76%. The bank noted the case when Bitcoin plunged 37% in a single day, alleging that its volatility is off the charts.
- 5. It provides no proof of hedging against inflation.
The bank added that despite the fact that hedge funds may be interested in trading cryptocurrencies due to high volatility, that’s not a big enough reason to invest in them.
Bitcoin fans argue that BTC is scarce, comparing it to gold because there is a limited supply of it. The bank disagrees with this argument as well, saying that digital currencies, in general, are not scarce assets.
“We believe that a security whose appreciation is primarily dependent on whether someone else is willing to pay a higher price for it is not a suitable investment for our clients,” Goldman Sachs wrote.
“We also believe that while hedge funds may find trading cryptocurrencies appealing because of their high volatility, that allure does not constitute a viable investment rationale.”
In addition to that, Goldman Sachs also pointed to the fact that there are a few thousand cryptocurrencies in the world with a total market value of roughly $250 billion and 3 of the big six cryptocurrencies are almost identical replicas – Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin SV.
Ultimately, the bank indicated legal issues surrounding Bitcoin as it’s often being used as a conduit for illegal actions. There are a number of examples where Bitcoin has been used for buying illegal goods on the darknet, money laundering, Ponzi schemes and more.
Technical analysis: Buyers eye $10,000
Despite Goldman’s claims, Bitcoin surged 4% yesterday after recording similar gains on Wednesday. The coin has now returned above the $9,200 horizontal resistance as the buyers aim for a trip above $10,000.
The key resistance zone for Bitcoin is located between $10,300 and $10,500. A clean brake above this level would translate into the new 20-month high for the world’s largest…